28 March 2023
Temporary residence permit in Turkey
Foreign tourists can stay in Turkey from 30 to 90 days, depending on the conditions of the visa-free regime signed between the states. Those citizens who wish to stay in the eastern country for a longer time will need to apply for a temporary residence permit.
Every year, about 1,000,000 foreigners receive an ikamet card. However, in 2022, an unforeseen situation arose: due to the complication of the geopolitical situation, many Russian-speaking citizens were forced to leave their homeland, choosing Turkey as the main place for relocation. As a result of the large influx of migrants, the government of the country has introduced a number of restrictions on the issuance of residence permits. In particular, the amendments affected tourist residence permits and residence permits based on real estate ownership. Nevertheless, a Turkish residence permit can still be obtained by foreign citizens under acceptable conditions.
What is temporary residence in Turkey and how to apply for it, we will tell in our article.
What is a temporary residence permit in Turkey
A temporary residence permit in Turkey, according to the Law on Aliens and International Protection, is a short-term residence permit with a validity period of six months to two years.
Temporary residence permit is an ikamet plastic ID-card, which allows foreigners to cross the Turkish border without a visa an unlimited number of times, live, study, open their own business, travel.
Who can apply for a temporary residence permit in Turkey
Foreigners who fully fulfill all the conditions of the relocation program can apply for a short-term or temporary residence permit in Turkey in 2023. The primary criteria for qualifying for ikamet are:
- Age from 18 years old.
- The presence of health insurance (insurance policy is not required for people over 65 years of age and under 18 years of age).
Reason for applying for a temporary residence permit in the territory of the Republic of Turkey:
- Property acquisition (valid for 1-2 years).
- Family reunification - up to 2 years.
- Humanitarian causes - for up to 1 year.
- Tourist card - the validity period depends on the presence of real moving purposes.
- Education in Turkish universities.
- Conducting official research, scientific work.
- Residence permit for investors and businessmen.
- Receiving medical services in one of the Turkish hospitals.
The government of the jurisdiction is very loyal to foreigners and provides a fairly wide range of grounds for issuing a temporary ikamet.back to news »
Steps for obtaining a temporary residence permit in Turkey
A temporary residence permit in Turkey is issued to foreigners after passing through the official procedure.
The procedure is as follows:
- Select base. Study in detail all the legal options for obtaining a temporary residence permit and choose the most suitable one, based on your life situation.
- Collection of documents. You can find the current list below in our article.
- Filing an application. Applications are filled online on the official government portal of the Migration Office. Personal data is entered in the form and the reason for issuing the ikamet card is specified.
- Setting a rendezvous date. After the questionnaire is filled out, the system will offer a choice of free dates for an interview with an employee of the migration department.
- A rendezvous. On the appointed date and time, you come to the Migration Service with a package of documents and a printed application. At the meeting, the employee will ask a few standard questions that should be answered calmly, confidently, and honestly. The duration of the rendezvous is about 30 minutes.
- Getting an ikamet card. In accordance with paragraph 21 of Law No. 6458 "On Aliens and International Protection", the consideration of the application is 90 days. If the permit is approved, the plastic card is handed over by post or courier.
In some cases, the results of further consideration of the application or refusal to issue an ikamet card are announced directly at a meeting in the Migration Department. Also, information comes in the form of SMS-messages. You can also check the status of the application on the department's website.
After filling out the application for a residence permit and before the rendezvous, as well as for the period of consideration of the application, you have the right to legally reside in Turkey.
Package of documents for a residence permit:
- Foreign residents fill out an online form, which you will need to print out and take with you to your rendezvous. If the application is submitted for the immediate family members - children and husband / wife - the birth certificates of children translated into Turkish by a sworn translator, marriage certificate are required.
- Certificate confirming the financial viability of the foreigner and his family. As a rule, this is a document from the bank, which shows the presence of a certain amount in the account (minimum 6,500 TL per month for an adult).
- Original passport and its notarized copy.
- Photos - 4 for each family member, biometric type on a white background.
Depending on the basis for applying for a temporary residence permit, you will need to attach to the list of documents:
- For tourist ikamet, a long-term rental agreement certified by a notary and, in some cases, a travel plan for Turkey confirmed by tickets and hotel reservations.
- For real estate owners - the Turkish title TAPU and a certificate from the Cadastral Chamber, which certifies the authenticity of the certificate.
- For businessmen - confirmation of company registration, investment contributions.
The list of mandatory document requirements for a temporary residence permit may change and be updated. Therefore, we recommend focusing on up-to-date information published on the official website.
The cost of a Turkish residence permit has risen in price in 2023. Expenses:
- Insurance policy - the average price tag is 1,100-2,500 TL (the cost depends on the age of the applicant, coverage).
- State fee for obtaining a residence permit, lasting one year - about 1,500 TL. The amount of the contribution is determined by citizenship.
- Production of an ID card - 356 TL.
- One-time visa fee (for citizens of some countries) - 2,304 TL.
In addition, the costs of notarization of documents and their translation should be taken into account.
We remind you that the easiest and most reliable way to obtain a temporary residence permit in Turkey is to buy real estate. Contact Nordic Property Construction specialists. We are ready to offer you a large selection of liquid apartments for moving to permanent residence and guaranteed registration of Ikamet.
All information posted is for informational purposes only and does not serve commercial purposes.
Nordic Property Construction is a construction company that specializes in the construction of highly functional housing on the Mediterranean coast. Cooperating with us, you get a full range of services - from the selection of property and meeting at the airport to the transaction and property management.