13 October 2021
Tax number in Turkey: is it necessary when buying a property?
In any country in the world, there are a number of documents that every citizen, resident or foreigner, must have with him. In the Republic of Turkey, one of them is the taxpayer identification number, which is necessary for carrying out any legal and financial transactions, obtaining health insurance, obtaining a residence permit, etc.
Why you need it when buying a property and how to get a tax number in Turkey is the topic of our article.
Understanding: what is a TIN in Turkey?
Taxpayer identification number (Vergi Numerasi) is a ten-digit unique set of numbers that identifies Turkish citizens. It is issued from the moment of birth and for life, regardless of the change of surname, moving to another region and other factors.
The TIN is also assigned to foreigners (individuals and legal entities) who plan to stay in the country more than is allowed under the terms of a visa or visa-free entry, and in the course of employment.
How to get a foreigner?
Obtaining a tax number in Turkey is possible only when a foreign citizen applies to the state tax service. This is the only body authorized to deal with the issuance of TIN.
There are local tax departments in every Turkish city. For example, in the famous resort of Alanya, Vergi dairesi is located in the central part of the city at the address: Kadıpaşa, Sugözü Cd. No:6, 07400 Alanya/Antalya.
For citizens from abroad, there are two options for obtaining a TIN:
- With an online application.
- To do this, you need to go to the official website of the tax service on the Internet - ivd.gib.gov.tr.
- On the main page, the applicant clicks on the "Application for a TIN for Foreigners" (Yabancılar İçin Potansiyel Vergi Kimlik Numarasi) button located at the bottom.
- In the form that appears, you need to fill in the indicated fields (passport data, address in Turkey, Turkish phone number, identification number in your country) and attach a scanned copy of the passport in the proposed format and size.
- After submitting the electronic form, the applicant will be issued a taxpayer code in the form of a PDF file.
- When contacting the tax office directly
Due to the pandemic, the Tax Service does not always agree to issue a TIN in person, but recommends doing it via the Internet.
To apply for a Turkish TIN in the tax office, a foreigner will need to have only the original and a copy of the passport. You come to the local branch and wait for your turn. An employee of the institution asks you the same questions as in the electronic questionnaire, after which he issues a unique number.
As a rule, the duration of the procedure, in the absence of a queue, is no more than 10–15 minutes. Immediately after the TIN is assigned, it will be displayed in the databases of all financial and public services of the country.
Why design and where you need it?
Vergi Numerasi is necessary when:
- Purchasing Turkish real estate to obtain a title deed (TAPU) in your name.
- Obtaining a residence permit in Turkey or an ikamet card.
- Opening a current account in any Turkish bank.
- Registration of subscribers for the provision of public services (water, electricity, gas, Internet).
- Paying duties and annual taxes.
- Registering for driving courses and obtaining a driver's license.
- Purchasing a car.
- Official employment, starting a business and enrolling in universities of the country.
- Issuing medical and other insurance policies.
- Obtaining notarial powers of attorney, etc.
1. What is the cost of obtaining a Turkish individual tax number?
TIN in Turkey is issued completely free of charge.
2. Can a foreigner independently obtain a TIN?
Yes, of course. However, if you are planning to buy a property, the easiest way to do this is to seek the help of a specialist, for example, our company Nordic Property.
3. If the document with the TIN is lost, what should I do?
Contact your local Vergi Dairesi and get a duplicate tax number.
4. Is the TIN limited?
No, a unique code is assigned once and for life.
As you can see, foreigners who plan to buy real estate, live or stay in Turkey for a long time cannot do without a TIN. A tax identification number guarantees you the ability to carry out most legal and financial procedures.
Purchasing real estate from Nordic Property, you don't have to worry about issuing a TIN and other documents required to conclude a transaction. Our specialists will do everything for you in the shortest possible time and ensure the legitimacy of the purchase procedure. With us, becoming the owner of a dream apartment on the Mediterranean coast in Turkey is safe and easy!